Biblical References for the Sanctity of Human Life
- Genesis 1:27 – God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- Genesis 4:1 – Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD.”
- Genesis 9:6 – Whoever sheds man’s blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.
- Genesis 21:2 – So Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the appointed time of which God had spoken to him.
- Exodus 20:13 – You shall not murder.
- Psalm 127:3-5 – Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
- Psalm 139:13-16 – For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.
- Proverbs 6:16-17 – There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
- Proverbs 24:11-12 – Deliver those who are being taken away to death, And those who are staggering to slaughter, Oh hold them back. If you say, “See, we did not know this,” does He not consider it who weighs the hearts? And does He not know it who keeps your soul? And will He not render to man according to his work?
- Jeremiah 1:4-5 – Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
- Ezekiel 18:4 – Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine.
- Matthew 18:5,6 – And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.
- Galatians 1:15-16 – But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood…
- Colossians 1:16 – For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities –all things have been created through Him and for Him.
*Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible.
Current Resolutions of the Southern Baptist Convention
On Abolishing Abortion
June 21, 2021
Pro-Life Ministries and Organizations/How to Get Involved
Alliance for Life (AFL)
AFL is an alliance in Missouri of more than 60 organizations networked together to bring strength to life saving, life changing work. As a network, the Alliance plays a vital role of advocacy, advancement, and awareness for their affiliate organizations. AFL affiliates are pregnancy resource centers, maternity homes, adoption agencies, and post abortion ministries.
To connect with your local organization in Missouri, go to
Care Net offers compassion, hope, and help to anyone considering abortion by presenting them with realistic alternatives and Christ-centered support through our life-affirming network of pregnancy centers, churches, organizations, and individuals. Care Net envisions a culture where women and men faced with pregnancy decisions are transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and empowered to choose life for their unborn children and abundant life for their families.
For free life-affirming resources for you, your church or your organization, go to
Heartbeat International supports, strengthens and starts pregnancy help organizations, including pregnancy medical clinics, pregnancy resource centers, maternity homes, and adoption agencies all over the world. Currently, Heartbeat serves over 2,800 affiliate locations on all six inhabited continents to provide alternatives to abortion. Heartbeat is a nonprofit, interdenominational Christian association of faith-based pregnancy resource centers, medical clinics, maternity homes, and nonprofit adoption agencies.
Pregnancy Help News
Pregnancy Help News provides updates on current events, happenings, and milestones within the pregnancy help community. It is a place to find information on new trends, legislative and legal attacks upon prolife work, and commentary on the progress of the pregnancy help community.
Missouri Right to Life
Missouri Right to Life is a non-partisan, multi-denominational, state-wide organization which upholds and promotes the sanctity of all innocent human life from the inception of biological development through natural death by providing education, by supporting legislation and programs that endorse that ideal, and by organizing citizens for effective results.
The LIGHT House Maternity Home
A ministry of the Missouri Baptist Children’s Home, the LIGHT House maternity home in Kansas City provides care for girls and young ladies experiencing unplanned pregnancies. The LIGHT House is also a full service adoption agency licensed in the State of Missouri.
Psalm 139 Project
The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention is dedicated to protecting life through the The Psalm 139 Project. It is an initiative designed to make people aware of the life-saving potential of ultrasound technology in crisis pregnancy situations and to help pregnancy centers minister to abortion-vulnerable women by providing ultrasound equipment for them to use.